Veterans Career House
The Veterans Career House provides safe supportive transitional housing and support services to male Veterans who are homeless. Our evidence-based programming helps Veterans gain stability and life skills to re-enter their community and the work force.
This eight-room facility is in a rural setting and offers private or semi-private rooms with shared living, dining, kitchen, recreation, and bathroom areas. Heat, laundry, electricity, and hot water are included.
Our holistic approach includes:
- career counseling and training session referrals;
- connections to local career and Veteran centers;
- limited transportation for training, referrals, and employment;
- mental health and substance abuse counseling referrals;
- resource and referrals to community agencies; and
- Community meetings and workshops.
- Individual Service Support Plans
- Community Volunteer opportunity connections
Criteria for Applying:
- Single, male, homeless Veteran with General Discharge or above
- Eligible for VA services (will need to register with VA Togus)
- Ready, willing, and able to secure full time employment and perform volunteer community service
- Clean and sober for a minimum of 30 days prior to admission
- No recent history or charges of violent behavior (i.e. Felony DV)
- No history or charges of sexual misconduct ever
- Ability to work cooperatively with house mates to perform daily/weekly chores in maintaining a safe, clean, and friendly household
- Agreeable to random drug and alcohol testing
- Commitment to following the Program Participation Agreement and guidelines
- Expect to pay program fees of 30 percent of gross monthly income with maximum amount being $379.00
- For an application and referral form, call the Veterans' Career House (VCH) Case Manager at 207-286-9641 or the Veterans Administration Liaison at 207-623-8411, ext. 4344.
- Complete the application and referral form and follow the return instructions on the application form.
- Our staff will make arrangements for a preliminary evaluation and interview.
- The results of the evaluation will be reviewed by the VOA Veteran Services Staff.
- If approved, arrangements are made for a move-in date under probationary status pending results of a full medical, physiological, and substance abuse evaluation done by the VA within 30 days of move-in.
- If there are no vacancies at time of probationary approval, the applicant will be put on a waiting list.
VCH Case Manager
Phone: (207) 286-9641(Office)
VA Grant and Per Diem Liaison
Phone: (207) 623-8411 x 4344
Fax: (207) 623-5748