Adult Community Corrections Programs
VOA has been a pioneer in criminal justice for over 115 years. We believe innovative programming that is evidence-based and restorative improves lives and communities.
We operate community justice programs in five Maine counties (Cumberland, Penobscot, Waldo, Sagadahoc and Lincoln) that meet the needs of clients involved in the criminal justice system. Our communities benefit by having defendants and offenders work towards change without unnecessary incarceration. Our staff members monitor the progress of clients and help them manage justice requirements so that communities are safe and clients continue to work, remain with family, and act responsibly in the community. This approach saves millions of dollars in incarceration costs each year, reducing the cost burden to the State of Maine.
Our programs include:
- Pre-Trial Services: community supervision and case management (daily call-ins, random on-site checks, monitoring of bail and curfew conditions).
- Home Release: community supervision of home confinement for sentenced inmates who have completed required amount of sentence in custody.
- Alternative Sentencing: a weekend or week long “camp” where sentenced offenders pay to participate and serve the equivalent of their sentence at a safe, non-jail location, performing community service and receiving substance abuse counseling and behavioral education.
- ReFinement Program - Penobscot County: Low-income community members can pay off fines through community services, avoiding incarceration, warrants and repeated court appearances.
- Batterers Intervention: As ordered by Probation or DHHS – for men from Sagadahoc, Lincoln and Cumberland Counties.
- Bridging the Gap, located in Two Bridges Regional Jail, provides reentry services to men and women. Staff members meet with inmates to facilitate change and create realistic release plans.
For details about programs in Penobscot County, contact Keri Alley
For details about programs in Sagadahoc, Lincoln, Waldo and Cumberland counties, contact us